Lands & Resource Department
Prepared By: Melvin Peters, Land Manager
Portfolio Councillor for Lands: Jonas Sanderson & Micah Daniels
Date: November 25, 2013
Land Conservation and waterways
- Working with elders to find and document all the band land.
- Sask. scrap tire came and removed nearly 3,200 tires from our transfer station at zero cost to the first nation.
- Beavers have been doing a lot of damage to our trees and waterways, so we put a $15.00 bounty on all beavers in Sturgeon Lake.
- Getting a permit started for Jim Curran who is interested in farming roughly 100 acres of land that has been sitting empty for the past 6 years.
- The R.M. of Shellbrook’s gravel permit has expired and they would like to have a new permit to extract 15,000 yards of gravel from the south pit.
- We also took over the road maintenance from the RM of Shellbrook on the 2.5 km between the store and Karl Ballantynes’ driveway. Saving the band close to 20,000 a year
- We had fine option workers plant trees in fromt of the east villages in the upcoming year.
Sucker Lake Lands
- Local farmer is requesting a permit for Sucker Lake and has a\greed to 35.00 dollars an acre for cutting hay out there.
- No permit has been issued for this land yet.
- Taking samples of reject pile to construction outfits to see if anyone is interested in purchasing the pile.
- Working on RCMP renewal agreement for the 4 houses and the office space.
Land Use Management Plan
- Working with the Urban systems to finalize our land use management plan
- An action plan will be developed in the future looking at communal concerns of, abandoned burnt vehicles, increased number of stray animals roaming, garbage clean up, beaver dams.
- This year, would like to recruit youth to assist with activities related to land issues.
- Had a meeting in La Ronge regarding their excellent home ownership program.
- Attended a TLE workshop and a SALT conference.
- Member assistance with yard safety issues (fire saftty issues)
- Digging trenches for water runoff.
- Elder’s assistance with yard clean up.
- Recruited member assistance from Sturgeon Lake First Nation for trenches, yard maintenance, garbage clean up and animal control issues.
All inquires should be directed to the Land Manager, Melvin Peters @ 306-764-1872
We currently have 5 active permits and are working on finalizing more permits.